EDIT: Better pics, and also eBay link! [link]
There are a couple of extra pics there too.
I did this for the update a pony contest at #My-Little-Plushie
and barely made the deadline.
This is G1 Flutter Pony Lily
, in G4 style. I took a bunch of liberties, but that was kind of the point of the contest.
She's just over 5" tall, with a posable armature and weighted hind hooves to help her balance. Her hair is hand-combed, hand-washed, hand-dyed Suri alpaca, which has some curl which I achieved by wetting it and rolling it around straws. In the G1 cartoons, pretty much all the ponies had the same curly hair style, so I mimicked that instead of using a G4 style. Her wings are angelina film, with the vein design of a Blue Morpho butterfly (stock photo from ~Enchantedgal-Stock
) printed directly onto the angelina. Two sheets of angelina were used for each wing, so the veins will show well. Each wing has a small black wire supporting it on one side. Both sides of each wing were coated in Gallery Glass for durability and shine, and given two coats of Mod Podge Dimensional Magic over that because Gallery Glass by itself tends to be a little sticky. The wings look delicate, but they're a heck of a lot tougher than the G1 Flutter Ponies' wings.
If you're wondering how in the world I got my printer to print on slick angelina, here's how: Originally I developed this to print on cellophane, but cellophane doesn't bond with itself or angelina the way angelina alone does, so on these wings I just used angelina, but it works on cellophane too. Tape a piece of film onto a piece of printer paper. Coat the film in a very thin layer of PVA glue (I used Mod Podge diluted with water.) If you do it right you'll get a thin coat with no brush strokes. The clarity of the film will look awful at this point, but for wings you're going to add a sealant later anyway, and that will remove all the cloudiness. After the film is dry, just stick it in the printer and print! Occasionally the film can get stuck, causing a paper jam or smearing the ink, but usually it works. Set the film aside and LET IT DRY. It will take a while. You can work with it after an hour or so, but drying overnight works best. Put it under a light bulb to speed it up. Once dry, you need to either seal it (a glue stick works, other water based sealants tend to melt the ink) or heat cure it, though even after heating be careful. Since angelina looks best after being heated anyway, that's what I did. I also used the opportunity to adhere the two printed pieces to each other. From there I just did the same steps as most angelina wing tutorials. I know you can buy pre-treated transparency sheets, but they're hard to find in stores here, and expensive, and I had cellophane from the Dollar Tree just laying around.